ISAN can easily be encoded in digital video files that support XMP such as Windows Media, Flash, QuickTime, MPEG 2 & 4, Sony HDV, XDCAM, etc..
The Extensible Metadata Platform (XMP) is an ISO standard, originally created by Adobe Systems Inc., for the creation, processing and interchange of standardized and custom metadata for digital documents and data sets.
The best method for encoding the ISAN in an XMP compliant file such as h264, mp4, mov, flv, swf.. is to fill the value "Identifier" of the "Basic" and "Dublin Core" metadata schema with the ISAN and export XMP metadata in the output file. It is preferable you set the ISAN in both schemas but if ISAN should only be set in one schema then use in priority Dublin Core.
Since Basic & Dublin Core metadata schemas have just an generic "Identifier" field not a field named ISAN, make sure you reference the ISAN code with the prefix "ISAN" followed by the 26 digits of the ISAN number (ISAN xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-X-xxxx-xxxx-X). The ISAN prefix will give the context to the generic Identifier in the Basic / Dublin Core schemas.
Adobe Premiere Pro Guidance:
- Tutorial on using metadata in Adobe premiere Pro
- How to export the XMP metadata in an output file? (section "Export and thin XMP metadata")
You might want to set the ISAN already in your source file and specify in your output encoding parameters that you want to preserve the metadata from the source file.
Besides you will specify in your encoding options:
- that XMP metadata is to be embedded in the output file
- that you want to export the "Basic" & "Dublin Core" metadata schema (but these schemas are normally always exported if you activate XMP)
Distribute your content on on-line platforms:
Additionally if you plan to distribute your content on specific platform (iTunes, Google Play, Microsoft, Amazon, Netflix...) you will need to provide the ISAN separately in the ISAN field or "Identifier" field defined in the delivery package of each platforms (e.g. iTunes: Using ISAN in iTunes ).
- XMP datamodel specifications (covered as part of ISO 16684-1:2012, Graphic technology – Extensible metadata platform (XMP) specification – Part 1: Data model, serialization and core properties. You can access the standard from the ISO Store.)
- XMP storage specifications: how XMP data is stored in specific file formats
- Free Adobe XMP toolkit
- Description of XMP schemas using RELAX NG (ISO 16684-2:2014 standard)
- XMP Forums — A community forum to share your experiences, discuss problems and report bugs.
In Adobe Premiere, it seems that a mov file is the only format that allows you to embed the ISAN into the output file. Other formats only let you export it as a sidecar file. If needed you can export the movie in mov and change manually the file extension to mp4.
Please sign in to leave a comment.