ISAN is required in many film funding applications across Europe, Canada and Australia, by Collective Management Organizations (CMOs) for processing rights, and by VoD platforms for content distribution in some countries (e.g. Switzerland). ISAN is also used in many applications and must circulate and be available to all when the content is distributed.
- Authors that register an in-dev ISAN for film funding applications, shall transfer the in-dev ISAN to their producers when the project enters in production.
- Producers and co-producers shall use the same ISAN / in-dev ISAN for all film funding applications worldwide.
- Producers shall provide the same ISAN to authors, performers, etc. to enable them filling-in rights declarations with their CMO.
- Producers are encouraged to download and insert the ISAN barcode in the film credits.
- Producers shall provide the ISAN to Distributors and rights holders for use in distribution (e.g using ISAN in iTunes).
- Distributors and content owners should issue a V-ISAN and provide it to VoD platforms, broadcasters,...
- Producers and distributors should ask their post-production facility to use one of the many possibilities for affixing the ISAN to the content.
- Distributors and VoD platforms can use ISAN to leverage existing subtiles on Cinando Subtitles and create new opportunities.